Sunday, November 13, 2005

Now it's getting really busy...

Term papers are in and have to be graded, research papers have to be prepared for publication, the turkey soon shall be roasted -- there isn't much time left for blogging. Otherwise I'd rant about how curious it is that Kanye West's utterly misogynist Golddigger (I'm even too busy to check the spelling) can be played on network radio as long as the b-word, the n-word, and whatever alphabetical glories it contains are covered up. But not a word about it, or about the fact that the sanitized version is wittier, slyer, after all...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about the song do you not like? I admit the language is foul at best but thats the language of the streets. its real and what they relate too I suppose.

Andreas Broscheid said...

Actually, I don't mind dirty words, and I also do not dislike the song. It is OK, musically, but it doesn't have too many ideas. I don't agree with it's main point though, because it just recycles old stereotypes (even though those have a long tradition in Blues and Soul). It's kind of puzzling that some people believe that single women (particularly black women) get kids only to make money -- you find a similar argument re. welfare reform, where people argue that welfare payments for single mothers are the reasons for pregnancies. Obviously, I can't speak from my experience, but I heard that pregnancy and childbirth are not the most pleasant things to go through, physically. Also, if guys like Kanye West think they're forced into child support by "golddiggers" -- well, there are fairly reliable methods to avoid that...

Yada yada yada.

But my main point re. "Golddigger" was that it exposed the irony of radio censorship -- a few dirty words are covered up, but the main offensive point is not addressed. Kind of funny.